A Little About Me and Developing Your Own Tastes

So a little about me, I first became interested in sound way back around the time I started to develop my own taste in music. After years of listening to either what was on the radio in the kitchen, what my father used too like or sadly what my sisters forced me to listen too via sometimes their excessive volumes of the music they liked (which to this day I still do not understand how anybody can like Genesis). I reached the age where my parents thought it was ok for me to have my own stereo. I think they will forever regret this decision, as I started to develop a love for rock music in particular the bands Motley Crue and a few months later Guns 'n' Roses an now it was my turn to play music at excessive decibels to which everyone in the house would constantly shout "will you turn that noise down." I did not care as I was born to Rock.


It was a little different for me, yes I liked the style and attitudes of these what were considered at the time Rock Gods, to me however it was all about the sound and how each of the instruments they played combined to produce this wall of sound that left me awestruck. I needed more and after years of consuming all of the music I could get my hands (most importantly ears) on, whether that was older music ranging from bands such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix newer music such as The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana as my tastes were expanding to include Hip Hop and some R&B. I decided to enrol at the Confetti Institute of Recording Technologies to learn more about my all consuming passion sound, how I could make it and how I could improve ways of capturing it.


After four years of studying Music Technology and Sound Engineering and at the end coming to the realisation that I did not want a career in music I just loved to listen, however I loved to record. It left me wondering what direction to pursue and after one failed relationship and countless temporary jobs with no direction I stumbled upon the answer whilst searching the internet one day. The answer to my surprise was a simple one combine my love of recording sound with my other love of visual media, so I enrolled on the Sound Design for Visual Media course at the Vancouver Film School in Canada.


Developing ones own tastes in not only music but everything in life is essential, it is through development that we as humans grow and in our early life of developing it is a necessary part of growing and more importantly we think when we are young being different from your parents.